Monday, December 8, 2008

Whole Again

I've got some catching up to do so I decided to post another blog tonight before I go to bed. This one is about my newest baking adventure and my brother.

Andrew, my younger, not-so-little brother, has been stationed in Saudi Arabia for the last 6 months. Yesterday, he came home! We are all so glad to have him back. Nine of us met him at the base to welcome him home. There were other families there as well waiting for their loved ones to come home. There was such excitement in the air - you could feel it. We were all anticipating the moment we saw them exit the plane. We were told before hand to wait for our loved one to come to us but, of course, that didn't happen. Everyone took off. Running for hugs! I am so glad to have my "little" brother safe at home. As my Dad would say, "We are whole again".








My Mom's birthday was about a week ago so we decided to wait to celebrate her birthday until Andrew came home. I decided to bake a cake. At first, I was going to do a white cake with chocolate frosting (boring, I know) but I decided that I wanted to do something special. Not the just same old, same old. I looked through my recipes and came a cross one for a Black Forest Cake. I've always wanted to try this recipe but never had so I decided this was the perfect time to give it a try. I'm glad I did! The cake turned out great. It is simple but is time consuming. It is so worth it because it tastes wonderful!





3 comments:

Chan said...

I am so glad that you guys are whole again. I know that feeling I had two brother in laws in Iraq for almost a year at the same time. It feels good to have them home!

The cake is beautiful almost looks to pretty to eat! I am glad that it turned out so well!

Anonymous said...

You know, it's not right that you post a picture of a scrumptious looking cake, and it's not even a scratch and sniff!

I'm glad your brother made it home, and at such a time of year - just after Thanksgiving, and before Christmas! I love the pic of Andrew & JJ - priceless!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Sunday was a good day. Andrew came home and I got a birthday cake. The cake was really good and it looks pretty on my Christmas plate. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...