Thursday, February 5, 2009

Preparing for the Big One

I've begun planning JJ's 1st birthday party. I know, it's still 2 months away but I thought I'd get a head start so that I wouldn't be rushed into planning it all last minute (which is so typical and will probably end up that way, anyway). Anyway...looking at the invitations, cakes, and decorations made me realize that I have 2 months until my sweet baby boy will begin toddler-hood (is that a word???). I am in shock at how quickly time with JJ has gone. I could swear that we just brought him home from the hospital the other day and I know for a fact that he just started eating solids and crawling yesterday. Where has the time gone? I so wish it would slow down. I have tried so hard to cherish every moment but I feel as if it wasn't enough. I want a do-over. I want to do it again so that hopefully, this time, I will have every moment and every detail memorized. I don't want to forget a single thing. If time would stand still, just for a bit....

This morning JJ woke up right before Jorge left for work. I was still in bed so he brought JJ to me and I nursed him, hoping he'd go back to sleep (no such luck). I laid there and stared at my beautiful boy while he nursed. He is so perfect and such a gift from God. I knew, as I laid there, that these early mornings together would be one of the sweetest and most precious memories I would have with my baby.

It is inevitable that JJ will continue to grow and one day, he won't need me as he needs me now. Until then, I will treasure the moments we have right now knowing that it will all be over too soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so poignant! It's kind of sweet to keep track of those "firsts" but it's so hard to accept that there will eventually come the time where it's the "last" as well.
Are you thinking of a "theme" for his birthday? I'm sure it will be fun & exciting, whatever you do.

Leah said...

I don't know yet if I want an actual theme or just fun, bright colors. Right now, I'm leaning toward bright colors.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...